To successfully use the Recon Ron Pull-up Program, one must follow the table below by doing five sets of pull-ups a night except for Sundays. Each set is specified on the table. To start the program, one must first be able to do six pull-ups. Also, all pull-ups must be “Dead Hang” pull-ups, where arms are fully extended before doing another pull-up.
A Proper Pull-up as defined by the United States Marine Corps:
a. Pull-up. The goal of the pull-up event is for the Marine to execute as many accurate and complete pull-ups before dropping off the bar. The procedures are:
(1) This is not a timed event.
(2) Sweatshirts will be removed during the conduct of the pull-up event in order to observe the lockout of the elbows with each repetition.
(3) Assistance to the bar with a step up, being lifted up, or jumping up is authorized. Any assistance up to the bar will not be used to continue into the first pull-up.
(4) The bar must be grasped with both palms facing either forward or to the rear.
(5) The correct starting position begins when the Marine’s arms are fully extended beneath the bar, feet are free from touching the ground or any bar mounting assist, and the body is motionless.
(6) The Marine’s legs may be positioned in a straight or bent position, but may not be raised above the waist.
(7) One repetition consists of raising the body with the arms until the chin is above the bar, and then lowering the body until the arms are fully extended; repeat the exercise. At no time during the execution of this event can a Marine rest his chin on the bar.
(8) The intent is to execute a vertical “dead hang” pull-up. A certain amount of inherent body movement will occur as the pull-up is executed. However, the intent is to avoid a pendulum-like motion that enhances the ability to execute the pull-up. Whipping, kicking, kipping of the body or legs, or any leg movement used to assist in the vertical progression of the pull-up is not authorized. If observed, the repetition will not count for score.
(9) A repetition will be counted when an accurate and complete pull-up is performed.